Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Why Taylor Swift is Terrible


As if country music wasn't bad enough, in strolls young Taylor Swift sending tweens and adults alike into a frenzy that rivals that of only a Baptist Jesus revival.  Taylor Swift.  How someone with such a mediocre range, even worse lyrics and with such god-awful live performances (did you see her onstage with Stevie Nicks? Holy God) has managed such a level of success and recognition is much like the consistent ratings the George Lopez show receives, just another testament of how dumb America is.

All that aside though, she is a true role model to 13 year old's everywhere... reminding every brokenhearted kid out there that if they can write a shitty love poem they can make it in the music industry.  Seriously, how many times can one person acceptably squeeze the words 'princess' and 'fairytale' into songs? Isn't she like 20 years old? No 20 year old I know is that delusional.  Here is an example of just one song in which a fairytale is mentioned.  Be sure to note the complex content and really wonderful libretto.

Today was a fairytale
 I wore a dress
 You wore a dark grey T-shirt
 You told me I was pretty
When I looked like a mess
Today was a fairytale


This is an actual song that Tay-Tay performed on the Grammys. Wait. Didn't I? I think... I might have... heard a song really similar to this on Blues Clues once.  I could be wrong.  And yes, the music backing the song is just as terrible as the lyrics.  I cringe at the multitude of undiscovered Youtube artists who are more talented than you, Taylor Swift.  Like this girlAnd this boyAnd even this little guy.

To add to the list of annoying things that Taylor Swift does (did I mention how she attempts to be sexy by flinging her hair around onstage.. gah, just check out that 2010 Grammy performance with Stevie for a case-in-point) I must mention her insistence on calling out her famous ex-boyfriends in her radio songs.  Taylor, I understand that a rapper burst your bubble onstage once but you yourself are not Nas/Jay-Z, Tupac/Biggie, Easy or Dre.  It's not OK for you to mention your beefs in your songs.  The fashion in which you hate is not witty or gangster.  Cut out all the obviously personal BS.  Because you sound like a douche.

Maybe I'll start writing songs about stuff that happens to me on a daily basis... see if I can strike it big like T.S.
I was still in my pajamas when I got out of bed
At one pm only one thing was in my head
Scrambled eggs and bacon, what do I do?
I want it for myself but I should share it with you
Yes I feel hungover but it’s what I deserve
It’s happened before, when will I learn?
Too much vodka will make your head turn

(exchange scrambled eggs and bacon with ‘my crumbling heart’ and hungover with ‘stupid’ and vodka with ‘loving’ and you have your basic taylor-esque second verse)

Any song she’s ever written in her 5+ year music career could pass as a  12 year old's attempt at writing a song for a seventh grade class assignment.  A slow 12 year old, that is.

Taylor Swift is terrible.  And if you're an adult who enjoys listening to Taylor Swift then you're terrible too.

12 comments:

  1. What did this girl ever do to you? Besides make you jealous and bulimic, of course. I know we can't all look like Taylor Swift, but let's try to express our jealousy in other ways...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, please post more. I just discovered your blog through Cheaper Than Therapy (http://cheaperthantherapy.me/). Loved the Lily Pulitzer post. Clearly these other Anons have no sense of humor and are trolling the interwebz being lame sauce.

    And yes. I have zero posts on my blog ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know we would all enjoy it terribly if you would swallow a whole bag of razor blades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your next blog post should be "Why I should commit suicide." Now that will get people talking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ahahhahaahahahahahaha so true, she really should commit suicide!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you've obviously never been in love. if you had you'd understand her lyrics. she's so amazing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. bahahaha Christina, are you ghey?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very good point Christina

    Smart & fun analysis :)


    Don't worry anyone reaching 18 years can't naturally go on listening to swift... apart from those with severe head injury lol

    There's still great music created by young talented artists but don't count on the traditional media to talk about it. Internet is THE solution to help those talents blossom. We have to support and encourage them.

    We can be the change we want to see in the world...

    Oh, and...your 'song' in pyjamas was hilarious ;)))))

    Keep the good work girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry Christina, she doesn't write music for lesbians.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love listening to Taylor Swift because her songs are like putting on a sparkly skirt and twirling around for a few minutes. Yes, I realize that I'm an adult now (19) but I like those few minutes every night where I can detox from the office and paying my rent to listen to Enchanted and dance around in my underpants for 5 minutes.

    But yes, I realize that she is a terrible performer, singer, and her songs are dumb as shh. perhaps I should GO(the)I because I still buy her albums hahaha

    One mistake I'll never make it going to a live concert. I appreciate my hearing too much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read this as "I'm shitting like fireworks over your sand..." which makes it much funnier.

    ReplyDelete