Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Why Clogging is Terrible


5-6-7-8! Put on your red lipstick, it's clogging competition time! Could these people not afford ballet lessons or what?

Kids in the boonies, pissed off at the floor for whatever reason (probably because they have to wear those awful sequined blazers that make them look like old school Porter Wagner and curl their hair in 1980's style hot rollers) stomping the ground and kicking up an awful ruckus.

In addition to the tacky outfits, hair and the general nature of the people who clog, here's what is terrible about the dance. First, the most typical go-to clogging song is 'Cotton Eyed Joe' (the techno version!!) Second, there is little to no upper body movement in this form of dance. I use the term 'dance' lightly, as I feel clogging is mostly just kicking around with one's hands by their sides, behind their backs or on their hips, clap once or twice, keep kicking the ground. Repeat. Don't believe me? A super-quick Youtube search yielded this gem of a clogging duo.


WHY DO PEOPLE ENJOY DOING THIS? OR WATCHING IT? Cripes... I will never understand.

But I must admit, maybe this hatred stems from some sort of childhood subconscious jealousy that is only now, in my twenty's, becoming apparent. When I was a little girl I wanted to take dance so badly. Instead, I took music lessons. And thank god for that. Because what does 10 years of dance lessons get you? A shit-ton of sequined Lycra outfits you can never wear again, a father who resents having to go to your 10 hour long competitions and a hobby that's not cool anymore once you turn 14. Although, I'm sure it would be really awesome to own a pair of those shoes. If anyone has a spare pair lying around, and aren't too personally offended by this post, I would love to look into borrowing them. If only just to perfect my clogging impression. Click-click-click-click-click-click. CLAP!

2 comments:

  1. HA! I was just trying to explain to some friends up here what clogging is. I couldn't believe they didn't know what it was..."So, wait, y'all DIDN'T have every float in your town's Christmas parade flooded with cloggers?!" But that makes sense now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irish Dancing is a traditional form of dance from Ireland, as the name suggests. Many people who do it here are of Irish decent, and it's actually incredibly difficult.

    Have you never been exposed to other cultures? Are you so sheltered from the rest of the world that you would just make fun of something that you don't understand without trying to learn about it first?

    ReplyDelete